Have you struggled to start pairing at work? Had difficulty getting you and your pair partner on the same page? Felt unproductive or disengaged in an allegedly “highly efficient” programming style?
Let’s Pair! is a real-world, pragmatic approach that treats pair programming as a skill, not a panacea.
Expect to learn:
- The basic structures of pair programming, including tips to set up your first pairing sessions for success.
- What it takes to develop a practice of pairing in your team and broader organization.
- How to be aware of and mitigate power dynamics between you and your pair partner.
- And most importantly, ways to make pairing both fun and effective!
The first zine in the Let’s Pair! series illustrates the ways that pairing can improve your effectiveness. It lays out why we pair, as well as what to do to get started pairing. While it’s perfect for people new to pairing, more seasoned practitioners will enjoy using the zine to review pairing fundamentals and how to introduce pairing to others.
The second zine of the series focuses on how to develop a habit of pairing and intermediate techniques to build your pairing skills both when your hands are on the keyboard and when you’re hands are off. It builds on the skills and vocabulary learned in Let’s Pair!, so make sure to get both!
If you’ve ever struggled to connect and work well with a pair due to a language barrier, differences in background, experience level, or any number of the power imbalances that occur on a daily basis in teams, then Let’s Pair! Power to the Pair! Is for you. This zine gives readers the background to understand how their privilege may affect pairing interactions, and offers concrete steps to more equitably engage across differences. It’s required reading for anyone working to build a more inclusive environment while leaning on the power of pairing.
Get all three zines for the price of two when you buy them together in the bundle!
Want to learn more than we can pack into these adorable, informative, and accessible zines? We offer pair programming training for your team or organization that helps you:
- Learn basic and advanced skills to make pairing more fun and effective.
- Figure out when pairing is best for your work context in particular.
- Navigate the complexities of pairing in diverse environments.